Celebrate 2016 | October
“‘No’ is a complete sentence.” Did that just rock your world like it did mine? Emily Ley shared that wisdom last week and that simple truth, along with Shauna Niequist’s “Present Over Perfect” (read it immediately), have completely reshaped the way I want to approach my goals and, well, my whole little life.
I got to sit in stillness for five days in the Rocky Mountains as I thought ahead to October and to (can you believe it) the last quarter of 2016. I wish I could say that I walked away with resounding resolutions and earth-shattering wisdom, but instead, I walked away with a rested and refreshed spirit. That, ironically, might be more earth-shattering than any epiphany I could experience. I am entering this month recharged and ready for what lies ahead. I am ready to cultivate what matters, to say “no” to what doesn’t without putting 100 defenses and excuses behind that simple sentence.
September goals have been updated, and here’s what’s happening in October:
- Send birthday cards
- Call one friend each week and listen, “ask a second question,” as Lara Casey says
- Social media free weekends: be present.
- Walk or run outside every day. Waco ain’t the Rockies, but God’s creation exists in a thousand different forms and I want to soak it all up in celebration of being a small part of it because of His rich blessings
Grow Jolie Joie
- Update my books and file my sales tax return for Q3 (exciting, huh?)
- Read Big Magic: creativity is hard for us Type A’s and we need all the encouragement we can get!
- Promote November Beginner Brush Lettering class and register 5 people
- Start a mailing list
- Follow a daily social media calendar using Later
- Follow Nancy Ray’s Contentment Challenge through the end of 2016
- Put my phone away at 10pm and go to bed at 11pm (This one is going to be maybe the biggest challenge on this list!)
- Keep a daily gratitude journal
Run a Marathon
- Create a fundraising plan for St. Jude Memphis Marathon
- Walk or run outside every day
- Spend the last weekend of the month “cultivating what matters” (i.e. REST, relationships, and all around fun)
- Rest and worship on Sunday — sweet, sweet Sabbath.
- Learn 2 new verses in Ephesians each week
- Invest in my new life group every week
- Begin each morning in prayer, Write the Word, and memorize Ephesians
- Take the BEC section of the CPA exam (this is a BIG ONE! I need some major accountability here!)
- Study 10 hours each week for the CPA exam
Grace-filled goal setting has truly transformed my 2016. It has been a year of purpose, of celebration, and of, most importantly, grace. This is a huge opportunity for vulnerability and community and I want to take full advantage of both! Friend, how can I encourage you in your goals for this month? What can we work through together? Please feel free to shoot me an email and say, sister, I’m with ya. I’m pushing through this too. I need prayer over this too. I want to accomplish this too.
Cheers to October, friends!